A “scarred” funeral director is talking about the toys she’ll never allow her children to play with, and now her eye-opening TikTok is going viral.
Mortician and mom @lovee.miss.lauren gained over 5.7 million views, 722,000 likes and 10,000 comments when she uploaded the timely PSA to her account.
Now, much like the TikTok that went viral for revealing what can happen when you sleep with your bedroom door closed, Lauren’s video is sending shivers down parents’ spines around the world.
“I practically grew up in a funeral home, and like many funeral directors will say, children’s deaths are the hardest ones we ever have to work with,” explained Lauren.
“When you become a parent, you find yourself being extra-protective of your children, because you know what can happen in the blink of an eye.”
In her TikTok — and a quickly rising follow-up video — Lauren lists the following toys as being off limits within her home:
Anything with a string
Toys with magnets
The American Academy of Pediatrics backs Lauren’s warnings. According to its website, water-absorbing gel beads can grow up to 200 times their size when they encounter water, resulting in dangerous obstructions that may not be detected by X-rays if they’re swallowed or put in ears.
Toys with loose string, rope, ribbons or cord — specifically when the strings measure over 12 inches, as with pull toys or jump ropes — can pose dangerous strangulation hazards to kids.
Teething necklaces, which can cause choking or strangulation, should never be worn by little ones. Instead, parents should massage their children’s gums or give them hard rubber teething rings that are not frozen.
Button batteries — found in such items as musical cards, toys, remote controls, thermometers, hearing aids, calculators, bathroom scales, key fobs, cameras and holiday ornaments — can cause serious injuries or death if swallowed.
Trampoline use has long been discouraged by the AAP, as serious injuries can be incurred even when padding and enclosures are in place.
Magnets, if ingested, can trap tissue between them, resulting in potentially fatal injuries.
Fidget spinners, whether plastic or metal, often contain small pieces and/or batteries that can be a choking hazard.
Hammocks, whether intended for small children or for toys, can become twisted around little ones’ necks, resulting in strangulation.
Lauren isn’t the only TikToker pleading with parents to remove dangerous toys from their homes. Reese’s Purpose took to the internet in 2020 to warn parents about fatal button batteries, and That Water Bead Lady has been working hard since 2017 to educate families about the dangers of water beads.
‘I can’t imagine what you’ve seen’
Thousands of TikTokers responded to Lauren’s PSAs and shared their own scary experiences.
“I am an ER nurse and I have the saddest button battery story. People need to keep those away from kids and pets! So sad,” one user wrote.
“Answering 911 calls all day has made me the same! So many things can hurt little ones!” said another.
“As a former hospital chaplain… YUP,” a user agreed.
“I can see how all of these are valid. I can’t imagine what you’ve seen 🥺,” one user empathized.
“This video may save so many lives. thank you for bringing awareness to these for our babies❤️🩹,” wrote another user.
Parents wondering if their children’s toys are safe, or looking to research potential Christmas gifts this holiday season, can refer to the Consumer Product Safety Commission website or HealthyChildren.org.
In The Know is now available on Apple News — follow us here!
The post Mortician mom reveals the toys she will never allow her kids to have: ‘Call me the Grinch’ appeared first on In The Know.
More from In The Know:
Shocking TikTok reveals what can happen when you sleep with your bedroom door closed: ‘New fear unlocked’
Mom begs parents to check house for potentially lethal button batteries: ‘Let’s save our babies’
The 10 best steals and deals from The North Face’s Black Friday sale
Kendra Scott’s Black Friday sale marks necklaces, rings, earrings and more 30% off