Innocent 14-year-old girl hit in neck, 2 18-year-old men injured in drive-by shooting in Fresh Meadows, Queens

FRESH MEADOWS, Queens (WABC) – Three teenagers were shot, including an innocent 14-year-old girl, in a drive-by shooting in Queens that is believed to be gang related Wednesday afternoon.

Police say two cars pulled up next to a group of 10 to 12 teens who were walking down the sidewalk near 64-50 188th Street in Fresh Meadows shortly after 4pm

That’s when a gunman exited his vehicle, exchanged words with two of the teens, and fired several shots into the group before getting back into the vehicle and driving off.

“All of a sudden I hear gunshots, and I like I know those are gunshots, those are not fireworks,” a witness named Vincent said. “I told my son to get inside.”

ALSO READ | 7 On Your Side Investigates subway crime: How likely are you to become a victim?

The 14-year-old girl, who is believed to have been walking in the vicinity and was not part of the group, was struck in the neck.

Police said they did not all know each other, and some were walking home from nearby Francis Lewis High School.

Two 18-year-old men, one of whom may have been the intended target, were also shot.

The girl taken to Long Island Jewish Medical Center in critical but stable condition.

The two men were both struck in the leg and taken to NY Presbyterian Queens in stable condition.

“I was inside just working, and I heard rapid fire,” another witness said. “Just quick shots, and then it was quiet and then a lot of sirens.”

Vincent waited for the gunfire to stop and then went outside.

“I happen to see a lady, outside our car, hysterical and crying saying, ‘They just shot a girl,'” he said. “I look, it’s the group of kids from Fresh Meadows, one of the girls got shot in the neck. To see a 14-year-old girl hurt like that, I have a daughter that’s 5 and a son who’s 12. It’s just really sad. “

There’s no description of the car or gunman at this time.

So far, no arrests have been made, and the investigation is ongoing.

In response to the nearby shooting, the Department of Education brought in a metal detector to check students entering school Thursday morning and recovered 20 weapons, like knives, in the unannounced screening.

No guns were recovered.

“There should be no doubt that keeping New York City safe is my top priority,” Mayor Eric Adams said. “Our schools are safe because educators, school leaders, and School Safety Agents work in close coordination to create supportive environments for students where they can focus on their schoolwork and not their safety. While violent crimes and overall incidents in schools are down, we can and will always strive for safer schools. It is unacceptable for prohibited items to be taken to school, which is exactly why our School Safety Agents conduct random scans across the city every day. Today’s random scan at Francis Lewis High School turned up a number of prohibited items, but not a single gun. We will continue to focus on keeping our schools safe, so our young people can focus on learning. “

ALSO READ | Ghost guns: Eyewitness News investigates a growing menace

The Education Department would not comment on the shooting.

“It was not school related,” a spokespersons aid. “As always, mental health services are on hand whenever an event impacts the school community.”

———-
* More Queens news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Submit a News Tip

Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *