A woman in Canada woke up in shock earlier this week when a rock plunged through the ceiling of her home and landed on her bed.
The police were called and it was initially suspected that the perpetrator was a construction site nearby, where work must have sent the fist-sized projectile onto the woman’s pillow. But when the construction workers said they hadn’t caused any explosions — but had just seen an explosion in the sky — the consensus quickly was that the rock was a meteorite, the Canadian Press reported.
Ruth Hamilton was fast asleep in Golden, a small town in the Rocky Mountains, British Columbia, on Oct. 3, when her dog started barking and she woke with a start.
“I’ve never been so scared in my life,” she said. “I wasn’t sure what to do, so I called 911 and when I spoke to the operator, I turned my pillow over and saw that a rock had slipped between two pillows.”
It turned out that there had been a meteor shower in the sky over the western Canadian region that night. Hamilton plans to keep the space rock and is very relieved that she was not injured.
“I was in shock and I sat here shaking for a few hours,” she said. “The chances of that happening are so slim, so I’m pretty thankful I’m still alive.”