Blue Cross charity in Radcliffe warns dog owners of dangers with conker and acorn

A pet charity in Radcliffe has warned dog owners to be vigilant in the fall around cones and acorns – which can poison dogs if eaten.

The Blue Cross charity highlights this problem because of some owners who may unknowingly throw cones for their pets to catch.

Dogs can easily swallow cones that can get stuck in the throat or intestines, and dogs with blockages or suspected blockages may need surgery to remove them.

Dogs can also chew and eat conker and acorns, causing vomiting and diarrhea.

Alison Thomas, head of veterinary services at Blue Cross, said: “Many dog ​​owners are not aware that these iconic fall symbols can make dogs very sick, in some cases even fatal.”

She shared some tips and added: “Encouraging your dog to play with conkers is dangerous and can lead to tragic circumstances.

“Pay attention to walks to make sure they are not taking them or playing with them.

“Keep them in the lead around cones and acorns if you are not 100% sure they would return to you when they were called.

“Contact your veterinarian if they occur uncomfortably after a walk where there may have been cones or acorns”

Signs of poisoning include:

  • Restlessness with discomfort and pain

Signs of illness usually show between one and six hours after ingestion, but can be delayed for up to two days.

Blue Cross relies on donations and support from animal lovers to continue their vital work of helping sick, injured, homeless and abandoned pets.

Visit www.bluecross.org.uk to donate and find out more.

Leave a Comment